Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fed3117  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 8:19:07 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Hi All:

I accepted a tentative job offer for a promotion at a GS agency to a 14, pending a favorable security clearance result (still in progress). I am currently at a paybanding agency (non-GS). I've gotten a ton of different answers on my below question, and would like some clarity.

Am I able to negotiate to the 10 step since I'm coming from a non-GS agency? The way I read the regs, the two step rule is the minimum one can be offered for a promotion. Also, I've seen waivers and flexibility for nearly everything in my 10 years in the federal government, so I'm sure even if the rigid system is there, accommodations can be made (if it's in the budget).

Thanks!
Citrine  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 10:33:00 AM(UTC)
Citrine

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
is everyone agreeing that it is a promotion? could it be seen as a lateral?
Fed3117  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 10:38:36 AM(UTC)

It’s a definite promotion from 13 to 14. Thanks.
bp340  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2020 12:05:04 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 25 post(s)
This is a unique situation (pay band to GS grade) so I’d be interested to see the outcome. You claim it’s a promotion from GS 13 (pay band equivalent) to GS 14. Using the two step rule the most you could conceivably get would be a 14 step 5 and that would be promoting from a 13 step 10. Pay matching would be the other way but I’d find it hard to believe that a TSA pay band equivalent to GS 13 would have a salary equivalent to GS 14 step 10.

Either way keep us posted
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2020 4:43:40 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1138 time(s) in 907 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bp340 Go to Quoted Post
This is a unique situation (pay band to GS grade) so I’d be interested to see the outcome. You claim it’s a promotion from GS 13 (pay band equivalent) to GS 14. Using the two step rule the most you could conceivably get would be a 14 step 5 and that would be promoting from a 13 step 10. Pay matching would be the other way but I’d find it hard to believe that a TSA pay band equivalent to GS 13 would have a salary equivalent to GS 14 step 10.

Either way keep us posted
Nope...TSA payband "GS-13 equivalent" is closer the GS12 range with a slight overlap into the GS13 pay range (I turned down a "promotion" with the TSA as the pay offer would be lower than the GS12 step 5 I was about to get a WIGI for).

What will happen is they will convert your pay over to the GS equivalent first, then add 2 steps, then see where that falls onto the GS-14 chart. I doubt they will even consider step 10 if this is a promotion from a GS13 equivalent.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Fed3117  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2020 5:03:17 AM(UTC)

Thank you for the reply. So the consideration piece is what I’m after. I’ve noticed that most agencies used the minimum two step rule as a floor and refuse to budge, but it seems your answer suggests it in fact be up to a 10 (if the budget is there and the stars align).
nembamike  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2020 6:02:50 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 199 post(s)
What Frank posts certainly makes sense. I was in a payband NT-04 (same as GS 11/12) had accepted a GS position with an agency. My HR converted me to a GS-12 step 7. In your case the same would happen and they would use the twp step rule since its a promotion.

Edited by user Monday, May 11, 2020 6:04:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

djp  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2020 4:52:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 169 post(s)
If you are in a non GS pay system...find where your pay falls between step 4 on GS scale. If above a GS 12 step 4 you are considered a GS 13 then find what you are on that GS scale to find what step you are.

You can only really negotiate when you enter the fed system. When journalists go from GS to bands you have some small negotiation if its lateral. Usually has a 5% base pay capwhich amounts to 1-2 steps.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed