Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans."

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
teej  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2021 12:12:21 PM(UTC)
teej

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Im currently employed within the DOD cyber workforce. I know different cultures exist across all federal agencies and even sub-cultures within all the departments. I was recently referred and scheduled for an interview. It is a GS14 and the location is: Location Negotiable After Selection, United States, 2 vacancies. It also states that: Telework eligible Yes as determined by agency policy. Then further down the announcement it says;
Telework: Available.
Virtual: This is not a Virtual position.

My questions i would like to know before the interview are;
1) Based on the location is negotiable, if selected, I would assume an office/work space within a VA facility to work out of?
2) If telework is based on agency policy, is that a negotiable option?

I live near a VA clinic, about 15 minutes from the house. Ideally if assigned an office space and if there was space there, that would be preferred over driving 35 miles and 50 minutes one way to the nearest Hospital/centralized office.

The idea of moving away from a DOD IT infrastructure where id manage multiple systems on multiple levels of classifications seems very ideal. I might be mistaken, but the pace and the "life and death" attitude of accomplishing normal IT projects seems like it would be much less stressful at the VA. Is the atmosphere within this arm of the VA spoken of well and do the people seem happy?
old fed  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2021 2:42:47 PM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 64 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teej Go to Quoted Post
Im currently employed within the DOD cyber workforce. I know different cultures exist across all federal agencies and even sub-cultures within all the departments. I was recently referred and scheduled for an interview. It is a GS14 and the location is: Location Negotiable After Selection, United States, 2 vacancies. It also states that: Telework eligible Yes as determined by agency policy. Then further down the announcement it says;
Telework: Available.
Virtual: This is not a Virtual position.

My questions i would like to know before the interview are;
1) Based on the location is negotiable, if selected, I would assume an office/work space within a VA facility to work out of?
2) If telework is based on agency policy, is that a negotiable option?

I live near a VA clinic, about 15 minutes from the house. Ideally if assigned an office space and if there was space there, that would be preferred over driving 35 miles and 50 minutes one way to the nearest Hospital/centralized office.

The idea of moving away from a DOD IT infrastructure where id manage multiple systems on multiple levels of classifications seems very ideal. I might be mistaken, but the pace and the "life and death" attitude of accomplishing normal IT projects seems like it would be much less stressful at the VA. Is the atmosphere within this arm of the VA spoken of well and do the people seem happy?

I'll just say that generally the CBOCs are not known to have a lot of extra space that needs to be occupied. some hospitals are the same and have moved positions such as yours offsite into leased offices or VISN spaces if the VISN is headquartered in that particular area.

seems the administration is moving in the direction of more telework so the policy might be in flux

https://www.washingtonpo...-81296da0339b_story.html

sorry I can't be of further "help" such as it was.
teej  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2021 9:42:04 AM(UTC)
teej

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Old Fed,

Thanks for the response. The off-site locations for position like this makes sense. Thanks again.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed