Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Grey  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 5:12:49 AM(UTC)
Grey

Groups: Registered
United States

I'm interested in finding a federal job since I hadn't any luck securing one past year. I've worked briefly in federal gov't but not long enough to be considered competitive (both internships) and I will use a special hiring authority since I meet one of the other criteria. I've been in private sector for more than ten years up to now. I'm ready for a change and try something new. I'm in progress of finishing up getting a Master's degree. Now, I was told in order to enter Fed. employment I have to start at GS-5/6 or GS-7 before moving up. Any truth to this? When looking for jobs on USAJobs site, there are not many GS-5/6 jobs since it's not advised to start at GS-9 although that was my starting level when I worked in gov't briefly in 2019. I'm interested in any analyst positions to start with. Any suggestions to increase my chances getting hired by fed. gov't regardless of any agency? I prefer to start in DC Metro area if possible.

Edited by user Thursday, June 10, 2021 8:04:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

smithandjones  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 5:59:13 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I would be applying for GS-9 and maybe GS-11 positions (if you were already a GS-9 or had other post degree exp for a year). Read the job requirements and frame your experience to meet those stated.
DaVinci95  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2021 2:01:35 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 96 time(s) in 90 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Grey Go to Quoted Post
I'm interested in finding a federal job since I hadn't any luck securing one past year. I've worked briefly in federal gov't but not long enough to be considered competitive (both internships) and I will use a special hiring authority since I meet one of the other criteria. I've been in private sector for more than ten years up to now. I'm ready for a change and try something new. I'm in progress of finishing up getting a Master's degree. Now, I was told in order to enter Fed. employment I have to start at GS-5/6 or GS-7 before moving up. Any truth to this? When looking for jobs on USAJobs site, there are not many GS-5/6 jobs since it's not advised to start at GS-9 although that was my starting level when I worked in gov't briefly in 2019. I'm interested in any analyst positions to start with. Any suggestions to increase my chances getting hired by fed. gov't regardless of any agency? I prefer to start in DC Metro area if possible.

No, you don't have to start that low. I came in as a GS-13 after 15 years in the private sector. Apply for the jobs that match your experience and qualification level.
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 3:22:47 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1138 time(s) in 907 post(s)
I concur...you don't have to start that low. Depends on your experience/qualifications. You know you are already at least qualified at the GS9 level as you held that grade previously.

And what do you mean by "analyst"? Plenty (400+ in the DC area, GS9 and above) with that term in the position title, but they vary in requirements quite a bit. Make certain you have a good resume (A 1-2 page one won't cut it unless you are Warren Buffett or similar). Details, with results/impacts is what you will need to increase your chances in getting the interview.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
djp  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2021 6:04:41 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 169 post(s)
If you are almost done with a masters...

Your entry level is a 9 but that’s without experience

How does your private experience related to the fed job you are seeking matters in what level you can get.

It’s hard to get an 11 or 12 as an outsider ( even if changing agencies within) because decisions coukd favor internal candidates who are familiar with the internal lingo.

At 13 and higher level as a manager level an outside has a very good chance because of brining in need leadership and ideas from their outside experience provided you career experience is in the same general area of a field you are in.

If you are in an area with many fed jobs like DC or denver and you are willing to change jobs you can work up the ladder quickly.

Within 10 yrs I’ve known people who are now 13/14 level.

Where youare looking matters. In smaller job areas it might be hard to advance because not many jobs open up. People at 12-14 levels stay in those jobs until they retire, promote, die, fired.. in field jobs they are usually flat level so if you come in at 12 you might see only a few 12 and a few 13 so advancing can be difficult.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed